- 1 kg salmon fillet, skin on
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon
- 1 orange, zested and sliced into rings
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- Lay the salmon skin-side down on a cutting board. Remove any bones from the flesh and wipe clean of scales. Rinse the salmon with the whiskey and allow to air dry for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine orange zest, salt and sugar. Line a baking dish with plastic wrap, extending the wrap to allow for wrapping the salmon later. Sprinkle half of the salt mixture on the plastic wrap. Add the salmon and cover with the remaining salt mixture.
- Lay the orange slices on top of the mixture. Wrap the salmon tightly in the plastic wrap and place in the back of your refrigerator for 48 hours.
- Once cured, rinse the salmon in cold water. Place the salmon back into the refrigerator, uncovered, for 4 hours.
Bourbon Glaze Ingredients
- 1 cup Bourbon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup fig jam
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp dried mustard
- Pinch of garlic
Method for glaze:
- For the glaze, bring bourbon to a boil over medium heat in a Cast Iron Sauce pot. Add the sugar and whisk, add the remaining ingredients, whisking to blend after each addition. Reduce heat to simmer until sauce is thickened and reduced by half.
- Set the EGG for cold smoking at 10-20°C (watch the video for set up). Add the salmon to the grid and smoke for 1 hour. Baste the salmon with the bourbon glaze and smoke for an additional 2½ hours.
- Slice and serve with crackers.