Recipe courtesy of chef Megan Kate Swan of Sophisticated Chef.
Yield – 2 large flat breads
- 1kg white bread dough (home made or store brought)
- 200g kalamata olives, pitted & halved
- 250g plain feta, crumbled
- 125ml basil pesto
- 500ml good quality olive oil
- Flaked sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Preheat the Big Green Egg to 220°C with the convEGGtor and Baking Stone in place.
- Divide dough into two equal parts.
- Put the one piece of dough aside, covered with oiled cling wrap.
- Place the other piece of dough on the Aluminium Pizza Peel make sure the peel is well oiled.
- Drizzle the dough with some olive oil to allow easy shaping.
- Flatten the piece of dough into a flat uneven disc, about 1cm in thickness (it doesn’t have to be a perfect round, the more natural the better)
- Repeat with the second piece of dough, place this dough on an oiled metal baking tray.
- Then begin to place the olives, feta and small dollops of basil pesto onto the dough. Use as much or little as you prefer (the more the better!) and season to taste.
- Don’t allow the dough to continue to rise, as you want a flat bread. It will rise once baking too.
- Slide focaccia onto the Baking stone and bake for 10 minutes.
- Once the bottom of the focaccia is crispy and golden brown, and there is some colour to the top of the bread, remove and drizzle with olive oil, then roughly cut up and ENJOY.
- Repeat the same baking process with the second focaccia.