Greg, “The Lion King”, King sent us his favourite smoked chicken recipe.
1 (or 2) fresh, plump chickens
- ¼ cup (packed) brown sugar
- 2 tbs sweet paprika
- 2 tbs Atlantic sea salt
- 1 tbs freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1 tbs chilli powder
- 1 tbs cayenne powder
Add a bit of cooking oil and mix thoroughly to a lovely coppery paste.
Soak 4 cups of wood chips in water for about an hour before cooking. When the chicken goes in, add one cup and another cup every half hour thereafter.
- Apply spice rub generously all over the chicken and under the skin.
- Place chicken in a large baking pan – breast side down to start – and fill with water to just below full.
- When the EGG temperature has stabilised at 140°C, slide the chicken into the EGG and cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Turn once.
- Check the chicken is done by inserting a digital meat thermometer into the meatiest part of the bird (by the breast, between the bones). It should read 70°C.
- Allow chicken to rest for 15 minutes.
Greg’s Tip: Always use tongs and a heat proof Pit Mitt Glove when smoking your chicken. Never anything that will pierce the chicken and make the juices run out!