Makes 4 servings
Avo Chipotle Dressing
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- ¼ cup lightly packed fresh coriander leaves
- 3 tablespoons each: olive oil, lime juice and orange juice
- minced canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (you can purchase this from Yuppiechef)
- ½ teaspoon each: sugar and garlic salt
Puree all ingredients and refrigerate until needed.
- 2 ears fresh corn (mielies)husks and silk removed
- 2 large jalapeno peppers
- 1 red pepper, stemmed, seeded and quartered
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced 1cm thick
- Freshly squeezed lime juice and sea salt to taste
- 4 cups sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup very small cubes spicy / flavoured hard cheese
- 1 cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
- Cheese Walnut Chips (recipe follows)
- Set EGG for direct cooking at 200°C.
- Braai the corn (mielie) and onion on the EGG until lightly charred all around. Remove from the EGG and cut the corn away from the cob.
- Cut Jalapeno peppers into thin slices and cut the red pepper and onion into bite-size strips.
- Drizzle with lime juice, season to taste with salt and let it cool or chill.
- Pile lettuce into 4 salad bowls and top with equal amounts of grilled veggies, walnuts, cheese and black beans forming rows of each.
- Serve with avo dressing and cheese walnut chips.
Cheese Walnut Chips:
Cut 2 tortillas into 8 wedges. Place on a Half Moon Griddle and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons shredded spicy cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoon finely chopped walnuts.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Recipe adapted from California Walnuts.