Smoked Ice CreamIngredients:
- 125 g milk
- 125 g whipping cream
- 100 g sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- Cherry wood chips
- Combine the milk, the cream and the sugar in the Round Drip Pan.
- Soak a couple of handfuls of wood chips in a bowl of water.
- Put a small amount of charcoal in the Big Green Egg (to well under the ring) and light the coals. Leave the lid open for ten minutes, and then distribute the drained wood chips over the glowing coals.
- Position the stainless steel grid in the Big Green Egg and place the Drip Pan with the milk-cream mixture on top. Close the lid.
- Smoke the mixture for exactly 6 minutes at a temperature of between 90 oC and 110 oC and then take the pan out of the EGG.
- Pour the smoked milk-cream mixture into a pan and heat until boiling.
- Pour the hot mixture onto the egg yolks and stir well.
- Return the mixture to the pan and heat it briefly (until the egg yolks are cooked). When done, pour the mixture through a sieve and chill it in an ice water bath. Once the mixture is cold, put it in the ice cream maker and let the machine do the rest of the work!
- ½ pineapple
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla pod
- 5 star anise
- 5 whole cloves
- Carefully peel the pineapple and remove the core.
- Place the pineapple on its side and fill the centre with the spices and the rosemary.
- Allow EGG temperature to rise to approximately 140 oC . Grill the pineapple, turning regularly, for 45 to 60 minutes.
- 50g each flour, sugar, yoghurt
- 35 g butter
- 40 g white chocolate, grated
- Mix the flour with the sugar, butter and yoghurt into a crumbly pastry.
- Bake this at 160°C for 20 minutes. If baking this on the EGG, set it for indirect cooking i.e. convEGGtor on top of the fire ring “legs up” with the stainless steel grid on top.
- Let cool and then process with white grated chocolate .
- Cut the pineapple into large dice and arrange the pieces on a plate.
- Top with crumble and a scoop of smoked ice cream.
Read more about EGGcademy here.