- 1 watermelon
- 300ml tonic
- 100g sugar
- 150ml gin
- 4 sprigs of mint
1 day in advance
- Cut two slices of about 2cm each from the middle of the watermelon. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate.
- Remove the peel from the rest of the watermelon and cut flesh into chunks. Reserve about 300g for the granita.
- Heat 100ml tonic with the sugar in a saucepan on the stove top until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into a food processor or blender, add the 300g watermelon, the rest of the tonic, the gin and 10 big mint leaves. Mix until smooth.
- Pour through a sieve into a shallow dish and freeze. Stir every 3 hours to to prevent ice from crystallising. Leave to rest in the freezer for at least another 3 hours.
On the day:
- Place 4 glasses into the freezer to chill.
- Set the EGG for direct grilling at 200°C with the Cast Iron Dual Side Grid in place.
- Remove the 2 slices of watermelon from the fridge and skewer the peel to create a “lollipop”.
- Grill the watermelon briefly on both sides.
- Remove the glasses and granita from the freezer and pour equal amounts of granita into them. Garnish with mint and the grilled watermelon.
Insider’s Tip: For a professional criss-cross marking on the watermelon, move each piece a quarter turn to the left or right when flipping.