Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 40 min
- 500 gr, fresh snoek fillets
- 1 cup jack daniels wood chips soaked in water for at least 1 hour/the night before
- 1 lemon, sliced.
- 1 tub (250gr) plain cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons thick plain yogurt
- 1 stalk celery, grated
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander
- Juice of one lemon
- Pinch of chili flakes
- Salt and black pepper to season
- Olive oil to serve
- Fill the fire ring with charcoal and light with Greenfire Eco-Firelighters, allowing the coals to burn red.
- Close the egg lid and allow temperature to reach 180 degrees Celsius.
- Next, transfer the soaked Jack Daniels wood chips over the coals. Insider’s Tip: To pre-soak or not the wood chips is quite a personal choice!
- Place the stainless steel cooking grid on top.
- Dry the fillets with paper towel and arrange the snoek fillets in the Stainless Flexi Grill Basket with a few slices of lemon.
- Next, position the basket with the snoek fillets on the grid.
- Close the lid and allow the fillets of snoek to smoke for 40 – 50min, turning the basket with detachable handle, every 30 minutes. Cooks notes: Even though hot smoking fish (like salmon) can take a couple of hours, these fillets of snoek were quite thin and was done in less than an hour. For a deeper, smokier taste, you can leave the snoek in the egg for longer. As the smoked snoek fillets will be shredded, there is no risk of overcooking.
- After smoking time, remove the fillets from the basket and leave to cool.
- Carefully remove the bones from the snoek and place the shredded fish in a food processor with the cream cheese, yogurt, celery, herbs and spices.
- Pulse until you have a thick Pâté, season to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate until use.
Homemade Melba Toasts
- 1 ciabatta loaf, sliced lengthwise
- ½ cup softened butter
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- With a rolling pin, flatten each slice of ciabatta until thin.
- Mix the butter and basil in a mixing bowl.
- Spread the bread on both sides with basil butter.
- Place the slices of bread on the grid next to the flexi basket, for 5 minutes on each side, or until toasted.
- Serve with Snoek Pâté.
Recipe courtesy of Anina Meyer of Anina’s Recipes.