- 4 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1.5kg boneless beef chuck roast, cut into cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp black pepper
- 500ml Irish stout
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 turnips, peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Set EGG for direct cooking at 177°C.
- Place a heavy bottom pot on the cooking grid and add 2 tbsp oil. Heat until almost smoking.
- Cook beef about 10 minutes until browned on all sides. Remove beef from pot.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp oil to pot; add onions and celery and cook about 10 minutes or until softened and onions are translucent.
- Add flour, garlic, tomato paste, thyme, salt and pepper; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add Irish stout and return beef to the mix. Stir in broth. Cover and cook 45 minutes. Stir in carrots, turnips and potatoes; cover and cook about 1 hour or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in parsley.
Serve with warm Irish Soda Bread.