- 1 free range beef brisket point, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 cup rub: Combine Brisket Rub Ingredients below
- ½ bag Jack Daniels wood chips, soaked overnight in water
- 10 portions house slaw – see recipe below
- 10 country loaf rolls – see recipe below
- 200g salted farm butter
Brisket Rub Ingredients
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup ground espresso beans
- ¼ cup freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup garlic powder
- 2 Tbls ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbls ground cumin
- 2 Tbls cayenne pepper
Combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container.
- Coat the brisket in an even layer of rub on all sides. Leave the meat to rest for 1 hour at room temperature or until the rub starts to turn pasty.
- Preheat Big Green Egg to 100°C set up indirectly for smoking.
- Place brisket, fat side up, on the grill. Maintain a temperature of between 90°C and 100°C. After 8 hours check meat periodically. Poke the meat n a few places; the fat should separate under your finger.
- When you are happy that your brisket is cooked enough remove from the EGG onto a rimmed baking sheet and allow to rest for 30min.
- Cut the brisket just before serving as it dries out quickly. Cut in 5mm slices across the grain.
Country Loaf Ingredients
- 500g stone ground flour
- 375g filtered water
- 7g fresh yeast
- 5g salt
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
Country Loaf Method
- Dissolve the yeast in half the water.
- Put the flower and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the yeast mixture and the oil. Start kneading slowly adding the rest of the water. Knead by hand for 10min until firm and soft. Allow to rest for 1 hour or double in size.
- Divide into 10 equal size rounds. Shape into balls and prove for 1 hour.
- Heat the EGG to 200°C with the convEGGtor and pizza stone in place. Heat the stone up before placing rolls 2cm apart on the stone. Spritz with water and close the dome. Maintain 200°C for the entire bake. Bake for 15min.
- Remove and place on cooling rack.
Bardough House Slaw Ingredients and Recipe
- 150g green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 150g red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 150g carrots, cut julienne
- 50g dried cranberries
- 2 Tbls mustard
- 1 cup mayo
- Salt to taste
Mix all together and refrigerate.
Cut the rolls in half. Butter on both sides. Add 100g sliced brisket and slaw. Eat.
Read Jason Lilley’s Big Green Egg review here.