Pork Belly with Apple Puree, Carrots and Broccoli
Time to Prepare: 3 – 4 hours
Yield: 300 portions
- 12kg Pork belly (Pressed and cured then spice rub)
- 2kg Cherry wood chips
- 2kg Hickory wood chips
- 1kg Dry rub spice
- 200 Apples (Core and dice)
- 3kg Butter (Diced)
- 1kg Brown sugar
- 2l Water
- 3kg Julienne Carrot
- 10kg Broccoli
- Salt Season to taste
- Prepare the green egg to smoke the pork belly, using cherry and hickory wood chips to 110 – 130°C.
- Trim off any excess skin and fat off the pork belly and slice into 50mm cubes and place into a large bowl, add olive oil and dry rub and liberally coat.
- Place the pork belly cubes onto a wire rack in the green egg and smoke for approximately 3hours. The desired colour is dark red colour.
- Remove the pork belly cubes from smoker and place into a foil pan and add the sauce, butter and honey and stir well to coat, then cover with foil and return to the green egg smoker and allow to cook for an hour or until internal temperature is 90-95°C. then remove the foil and continue to smoke for 15-20mins then serve.
- Prepare the apples so long for the apple puree. Peel and core the apples then dice them into cubes.
- Place the apples in a pot, add butter, brown sugar, a pinch of salt and water and cook the apples until they have a mushy texture. This will take approximately 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, pour the contents into a blender and blitz up until smooth, adjust the seasoning adding either salt or sugar as desired.
- Pass the apple puree through a fine sieve and store in the fridge once cooled down until it is required.
- For the vegetables; carrots, peel and julienne. Broccoli remove outer leaves, leaving the florets attached to the stalk.
- Blanch vegetables separately in boiling salt water for 2 minutes.
- Toss the vegetables in melted butter and adjust seasoning.
- To serve, warm up all contents, spoon the puree onto the plates, followed by the broccoli and pork belly and garnish the pork belly with julienne carrots and drizzle the sauce around the plate and serve immediately.