- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1/4 tsp each table salt and baking soda
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 500g fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup double cream
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- To make the pound cake, use an electric mixer to cream butter and sugar for 3 – 5 minutes in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, with the mixer on low.
- Blend until eggs are well incorporated.
- Mix the flour, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl.
- With the mixer on low, add the yoghurt and flour mixture, alternately, until both are completely incorporated.
- Add the vanilla and continue mixing for a further 15 seconds.
- Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan and place on a plate setter inside the EGG. Close the lid and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
- To make the coulis, place the berries in a small bowl and add sugar and lemon juice.
- Using a spoon, toss the strawberries and raspberries in the sugar.
- Puree half the berries in a blender on high for 3 minutes, while the other half is refrigerated.
- Strain the coulis into a small bowl.
- To make the whipped cream, use a whisk or electric mixer, to beat the cream, icing sugar and vanilla for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- To assemble, place a slice of cake on each plate. Top with the macerated strawberries and raspberries, spoon the coulis over the berries and top with the whipped cream.