Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 37 min
- 10 ml (2 tsp) garlic salt
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ground coriander
- 10 ml (2 tsp) smoked paprika
- 5 ml (1 tsp) chili powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 5 ml (1 tsp) mustard powder
- 10 ml (2 tsp) instant coffee granules
- 5 ml (1 tsp) brown sugar
- 2 inch’ thick prime rib steak – room temperature
- Fresh rosemary and thyme bunch
- Combine all the ingredients for the steak rub and cover the steak in the spice rub. Leave to rest.
- Ready your Big Green Egg by filling the fire ring ¾ with Big Green Egg All Natural Lump charcoal. Use the GreenFire eco-firelighters to light the coals.
- Allow the coals to get red hot, then position the convEGGtor in the legs up position and place your grid on top, to prepare for indirect cooking. Position the Half Moon Cast Iron Dual Side Grid on top of the stainless steel grid.
- Close the lid of the egg and open the daisy wheel vent at the top and bottom vent slightly, to reach a stable temperature of 120 degrees Celsius.
- Place the steak on the half moon griddle and close the lid.
- Allow the steak to cook for 30 – 35 minutes, without turning, until it reaches an internal temperature of 45 – 50 degrees Celsius. Tip: The internal temperature of medium rare steak is about 55 degrees Celsius. You want to reach a temperature slightly less to allow for the final searing.
- Using the Quick Read Digital Pocket Thermometer, check the internal temperature of the steak. Once it has reached 45 degrees Celsius, remove the steak from the grid and leave to rest.
- Remove the convEGGtor and reposition the half moon cast iron grid, for direct cooking.
- The temperature of your egg needs to be increased for the final searing. Open the daisy wheel all the way, as well as the vent at the bottom until you reach 350 degrees Celsius.
- Once your egg has reached the targeted temperature, your steak will also have had enough resting time.
- Burp the egg when you open, and place the steak on the grid for one minute, each side.
- Brush the steak with your fresh herb bundle if you wish, and remove from egg. Serve with Three Cheese and Mustard Sourdough braaibroodjie.