The Rub – enough for 1.5kg pork belly ribs
- 2 T Sea Salt (I used Maldon)
- 1 T black peppercorns and garlic powder
- 1.5 t each sumac (stocked by speciality food stores), ground coffee and cocoa powder
Chipotle Barbeque Sauce
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 T olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T + 1 t Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 3/4 cup of honey
- 1 – 2 T of chopped chipotle chilli in adobo sauce (2 = quite hot)
- 1/2 cumin
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- Mix all the rub ingredients to a fine powder in a spice grinder, rub well into the pork and leave in a zip log in the fridge overnight.
- Set the EGG to 180◦C.
- Saute the onion in the olive oil until soft .
- Add the red wine vinegar and allow to almost cook off.
- Add all the other ingredients and cook on a low simmer until the sauce thickens – about an hour.
- Allow it to cool and then process this to a smooth consistency using a hand-held blender.
- Remove your ribs from the fridge about an hour before you cook them, bringing them back to room temperature.
- Cook for 2.5hrs in a tray.
- About 30 mins before completion, baste both sides of the ribs with the sauce, turning once during this time. At the end of this, cook the ribs straight on the grid for about 3 – 5 minutes a side until the sauce starts to brown and caramelise. Baste again with more sauce and cut the ribs into individual shards.
Recipe by Sam Linsell.