- 250g Frozen strawberries, defrosted and cut in half
- 250g Cherry or apple wood chips, soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 15ml Castor sugar
- Set your Big Green Egg for indirect cooking at 120°C – 150°C. Scatter the dried wood chips amongst the coal.
- Place the defrosted strawberries in an Enamel Cast Iron Dutch Oven and and smoke on the Big Green Egg for 20 minutes, giving it a stir to prevent the sugar from burning or crystalising to the sides of the pot.
- Pour the smoked strawberries into a food processor or jug and blitz the mixture to create a smooth sauce or jus.
- Decant the cooled mixture in a Mason jar and store in the fridge. Lovely stirred into ice cream, as a sorbet or cake topping.
Recipe courtesy of chef Gerhard Koekemoer.