- 2 kg beef shin or shoulder, or any tender part of the beef cut into 2×2 cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 medium onions, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 4 tablespoon marjoram, chopped
- 4 carrots, diced
- 4 celery leaves
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 5 tbs. tomato paste
- 150ml red wine vinegar
- 4 fresh green peppers, chopped
- 5 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 5 tablespoon smoked paprika powder
- 3 teaspoon ground caraway seed
- 3 bay leaf
- ground black pepper and salt according to taste
- 3lt beef stock
- 250ml crème fraiche for serving – optional
- Add a good splash of oil to a large pot and gently sauté the onions, garlic and pepper until softened.
- Season the beef with half the paprika, garlic, marjoram, salt and pepper. Add a dash of the oil and mix well.
- Place the beef cubes in a ovenproof dish and roast in a Big Green Egg with wood chips for added smoked flavor, until browned. (High heat 280◦C)
- Stir in the paprika into the pot and cook for 2 more minutes, then add 200ml of the beef stock.
- Bring to the boil and cook until reduced by half. Add the marjoram, caraway seeds, a splash of vinegar, the tomatoes, the tomato purée and season well.
- Add the beef and enough stock to cover and simmer until the meat and vegetables are tender, about 1½–2 hours. Add the potatoes, plus any remaining stock and a little water if it’s looking too dry, and simmer until the potatoes are cooked
Serve with a dollop of sour cream, if you like.
Makes 20 portions