Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 10 min
Sweet Mustard Sauce:
- 4 large eggs whisked
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vinegar
Three Cheese Braaibroodjie:
- 8 slices of good quality sourdough bread
- Butter to spread
- 200 gr grated mozzarella cheese
- 200 gr sliced emmental cheese
- 200 gr grated mature cheddar cheese
- Combine the ingredients for the sweet mustard sauce in a Cast Iron Sauce Pot.
- Place on medium heat and allow sauce to heat and thicken, while whisking. This will take about 5 – 7 minutes.
- When the mustard sauce has thickened, set aside to cool slightly.
- Prepare your braaibroodtjies by spreading the outside with butter.
- Layer one slice with the three cheeses, and give the other slice a spread of sweet mustard sauce. You can also add a teaspoon of chutney if you so wish.
- Close the braaibroodtjies (remember to have the butter on the outside).
- Braaibroodtjies are usually the last to go on the grill. Ensure your egg has reached a temperature of 200 degrees celsius.
- Place the half moon cast iron grid – with the smooth side facing up – on your grid with the egg set to direct cooking (convEGGtor removed).
- Place the braaibroodtjies on the flat grid and close the egg, allowing the bread to toast for about 2 minutes a side, or until the bread is nicely toasted and cheese melted.
- Perfect accompaniment to Reverse Sear Prime Rib Steak with spicy rub.