Authorised Big Green Egg dealer, Braaiman Fire and Gas, once more supported this charity event. Owner, David Kidson, a keen cook shared these tips for the perfect 6 Hour Slow Roast Leg of Springbok:
- Marinade the meat in red wine for 3 days.
- Drain any remaining red wine and marinade for a further 2 days in honey and olive oil.
- Seal the outside on a high heat quickly, before reducing the temperature to 150◦C and setting the EGG for indirect cooking (hint: Use the convEGGtor for delicious results).
- Place the leg in some water in a roasting tin and cover with some whole cherries. Dry roast for 6 hours, occasionally basting the leg with juices from the roasting tin.
- Steam some wild onion, whole garlic, baby potatoes, carrots and courgettes in a roasting bag before sauteing them in the meat juices.
David was immensely impressed after having used only 2 double handfulls of charcoal for the entire 6 hour period!
This event has raised over R1,000 000.00 over the years, in aid of various charities, including Project Rhino and South African Guide Dogs. We’re glad to be teaming up with Braaiman Fire and Gas!